• 82% of PwO believed that obesity has a large impact on overall health9
• Average of 6 years between the time PwO began struggling with excess weight and when they first discussed weight with an HCP9
• 68% of PwO would like their HCP to initiate the conversation 9
• Only 3% reported feeling offended by such a conversation9
• 71% of HCPs do not initiate weight loss conversations because they believe PwO are not interested in losing weight, while only 7% of PwO reported this as a reason for not initiating the conversation– a tenfold difference9
*PwO means Person with Obesity
Bray GA, Kim KK, Wilding JPH; on behalf of the World Obesity Federation. Obesity: a chronic relapsing progressive disease process. A position statement of the World Obesity Federation. Obes Rev. 2017;18(7):715–723.
American Medical Association. AMA adopts new policies on second day of voting at annual meeting. Cision. https://news.cision.com/americanmedical-association/r/ama-adopts-new-policies-on-second-day-of-voting-at-annual-meeting,c9430649. Published June 18, 2013. Accessed June 5, 2019.
European Association for the Study of Obesity. 2015 Milan Declaration: a call to action on obesity. https://easo.org/2015-milan-declaration-a-call-to-action-on-obesity/. Accessed June 5, 2019.
Wright SM, Aronne LJ. Causes of obesity. Abdom Imaging. 2012;37(5):730–732.
Badman MK, Flier JS. The gut and energy balance: visceral allies in the obesity wars. Science. 2005;307:1909–1914.
Tanaka T, Ngwa JS, van Rooij FJA, et al. Genome-wide meta-analysis of observational studies shows common genetic variants associated with macronutrient intake. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013;97:1395–1402.
Kumar S, Kelly AS. Review of childhood obesity: from epidemiology, etiology, and comorbidities to clinical assessment and treatment. Mayo Clin Proc. 2017;92:251–265.
Yuen M, Earle R, Kdambi N, et al. A systematic review and evaluation of current evidence reveals 195 obesity-associated disorders (OBAD). Abstract presented at: Obesity Week, November 2, 2016; New Orleans, Louisiana. Abstract T-P-3166.
Caterson ID, Alfadda AA, Auerbach P, et al. Gaps to bridge: misalignment between perception, reality and actions in obesity. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2019;1–11.